Sunday, August 21, 2011

Eenie Meenie Miney Moe...

...Catch a tiger by the toe! Well, I'm not sure what exactly I'm trying to catch...I do know that I have a lot of choices, though. That's how my whole life seems to be the past few years: me trying to choose between two or three really good options, and then getting so fed up with not knowing what to do that I essentially play Eenie Meenie Miney Moe to decide, and hope that things turn out alright. And they usually do. So I guess it's a pretty good system!

I have a lot of big decisions to make this year. Isn't agency wonderful? Sometimes it can get depressing, not feeling like prayers are being answered in regards to making important choices, and not even knowing what I most want; 'cause if I knew what I wanted, then the choice wouldn't be difficult at all! It's the fact that every time I've had to make an important decision all choices I consider are good ones and are equally appealing that makes it frustrating to have to decide. But then, luckily, every once in a while I'm able to step back just a little bit and think, "Hey! I have multiple good choices in front of me! I must be doing something right." No matter what I choose, I'll be able to learn things and grow and develop relationships and...things will turn out alright!

"Agency used righteously allows light to dispel the darkness and enables us to live with joy and happiness" (http://lds.org/general-conference/2006/04/to-act-for-ourselves-the-gift-and-blessings-of-agency?lang=eng). One thing I want more than anything is to have God trust my decisions and therefore give me guidance when I really need it most. So I should be jumping for joy at the chance to use my agency and prove I'm capable of making good choices! 'Cause then guess what? Light will dispel the darkness and I can live with joy and happiness, knowing that I can make smart decisions and God is watching over me. And, not even just in the big life-changing decisions, but in the little, every-day choices I have to make, I can be doing those small things that will help me feel closer to God and to my family and I'll have the assurance that I'll have help making the big choices.

So, next time you have to make a difficult decision, just remember:

...Hm, I was gonna say something witty right there, but couldn't come up with anything. And I don't want to spell out the moral of the story. So...

Pedro, just listen to your heart. That's what I do.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

You are smart. Very, very smart.

The decisions never stop coming, by the way.

But you are clearly ready for them. Good luck!

(I read something once that taught me that not only are choices good, but they are often just choices. It may not be about what's right but also what we want. Heavenly Father isn't up there trying to trick us so that if we make the "wrong" decision he can jump out and say "Ah ha! Gotcha!" Nope. We make our best decision and if it will be a problem down the road, he will step in somehow and gently guide us to a better path. We won't crash and burn if we are sincerely trying. Life is a test but not THAT kind of test. If we're doing what's right, we will figure stuff out in due time. His time.)

But yeah, you sound like you're doing just fine. Looking back, life has been ten times harder than I expected it to be. But also one hundred times better. Maybe a thousand. You have a lot of awesome things ahead of you! Keep your chin up and press on!

(I think I'm done now.)

Jess said...

This reminds me of our conversation we had on Thursday :) Good luck and let me know how it all plays out. Love ya girly!