Sunday, November 16, 2008

Happy 18th Birthday?

Where is the justice in a world that allows a person to go from being a mature young lady one day to an immature little adult the next? Gretchen summed up my thoughts in one simple question: "Mommy, how come Jillian and Victoria turned a year older but they're still just as immature as before?" Really, I don't know the answer to that question. At least Victoria still has 2 years to become as mature as an adult, but I'm already thrust into this cold, cruel world of boring maturity.

So, tomorrow I get to go renew my driver's license... "Congratulations on turning 18! Now pay us $20.50 for a little piece of laminated paper." Happy birthday, right? Don't get me wrong, I had an amazing birthday. A lot of my friends remembered and wished me all kinds of happy birthdays (although it's probably just because Facebook reminded them it was my birthday) and my parents gave me fun and thoughtful presents (who wouldn't want a triple-barrel curling iron!?)...my boss and fellow-employees even brought me a present! All in all it was a great day. Supreme pizza for dinner, and chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting for dessert! Oh, and don't forget the Heavenly Hash ice cream!

I guess all I'm trying to say is, yes I'm glad I'm 18, but what's the point? I still have 6 months of high school, still have to obey every rule of my parents, although now I must also be mature while obeying them. I really have no more priveleges, just more responsiblities, and it seems I'm already falling short just 3 days into adulthood. The fact that I know that I really and truly am immature is at least a step to becoming the big adult that everyone expects me to be.

4 comments:

Tobin and Trista Hale said...

You are right... being 18 doesn't feel any different... & definitely doesn't mean you are automatically a mature adult..not that I'm saying your not mature...but ya know what I mean! I still feel like that immature little 16 year old girl! Gretchens comment was great! lol I definitely didn't remeber your birthday just because facebook reminded me...btw! :D I'm super excited that you have a blog now! ttyl :D

Jerry said...

You're lucky that you have 8 months of being able to mooch off your parents. I moved out for college the day after I turned 18.

And being mature doesn't mean you have to act mature-it just means you have to do the responsible things first and then you can do the fun immature things.

Gayla said...

...and just so you know...you're a lovely, wonderful, mature girl, and always have been. BUT - you know how to have fun anyway, and that's what makes you so wonderful. I'm turning 50 in April - and I still feel like I'm being thrown into an adult world that I'm not quite ready for. Don't know where these grown kids making their own choices and lives and the granddaughter came from. Love you! Gayla

DaNae (the "baby" daughter) said...

Oh my goodness Jillian, you make me laugh! Actually, I was just sitting here thinking about how grown up you are! I am with Gayla on this one. Where did all the time go? After all, it seems just like the other day when I looked at your huge big blue eyes in that little tiny infant face and said the infamous words that your mother will never let me live down. "Gee, I hope she'll get cuter". (or something like that, ask her exactly what I said, She knows it down to the lilt in my immature young adult voice.) By the way, you didn't get cuter.... You are drop dead gorgeous in every way. I am proud to know you and feel very blessed to be called your aunt. (aka Favorite auntie) Haa haa. Love Always, DaNae