Thursday, January 26, 2012

Baked Potatoes

This may be hard to believe, but there was once a time when I hated baked potatoes. How could I claim to be a true Idahoan and a hater of baked potatoes in the same breath? How did I live with myself?
 
I remember there being a period of my life when I couldn't decide if I even liked potatoes at all. My family would normally have potatoes with our Sunday dinners--boiled, mashed, stuck in stew (and baked)--and I couldn't decide how I felt about them. One week I'd eat a mound of mashed potatoes with a river of gravy, and the next I'd sit with my arms crossed in front of my plate, nose upturned. 
 
"Jillian, why aren't you eating your potatoes?" 
"I don't like potatoes!" 
"But...didn't you just eat them last week?" 
"I don't like them anymore." 
 
The next Sunday I'd be back to eating potatoes.
 
This happened multiple times. Do I know why it happened? No. Do I like analyzing weird things about myself, like why my tastes would change so rapidly from week to week, and then try to turn them into a metaphor of my life to explain my other weird tendencies? No. But some people like to do that. So you can if you want to.
 
I love potatoes now. I'm a potato girl. A true Idahoan. Boiled, mashed, baked, French fried, tater totted, scalloped, cheesy oven-baked, hash browned, stewed...even in the form of potato rolls and potato clocks! (Although I don't eat the clocks.) I love potatoes of all colors and forms. Except sweet potatoes, but those aren't really even potatoes. They're just gross.

6 comments:

Danielle said...

2 posts! in one month!
What I want to know is when you stopped being fickle about potatoes. Was this recent? Or when you were 11?

Jilli-Billi said...

Well, I didn't start liking baked potatoes until a few years ago. But the thing with me changing from week to week was when I was probably 9 or 10 years old. It only lasted for a few months, I think.

Kristen said...

What are potato clocks?

Jilli-Billi said...

http://www.powscience.com/store/storepics/pacsci/potatoclock.jpg

EpicThought said...

"Do I like analyzing weird things about myself...and then try to turn them into a metaphor of my life to explain my other weird tendencies?"

Why don't you do that? Oh wait that would require analyzing yourself. You really buy-in to improvisation don't you?

Kevin B. said...

Boil em, mash em, stick em in a stew...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr_01rYKQLg