Sunday, January 24, 2010

Rejoice Through Fasting

     A couple days ago I went to the Provo temple with my roommate and two of the guys in our ward to do baptisms for the dead. We got there and could see through the window from the front desk into the waiting room for the baptistry that it was completely full. The worker at the desk told us there would be at least a two hour wait, so we went on in and started our waiting!
     I love the Spirit in the temple. Because we had a couple hours of just sitting and waiting to do confirmations and baptisms, there was a lot of time for reflecting and studying the scriptures. I read out of the Book of Mormon in Alma about Moroni's battle victories, and then I read the first verse of Alma 45 and something hit me that I'd never realized before:
     "Behold, now it came to pass that the people of Nephi were exceedingly rejoiced, because the Lord had again delivered them out of the hands of their enemies; therefore they gave thanks unto the Lord their God; yea, and they did fast much and pray much, and they did worship God with exceedingly great joy."
     The Nephites fasted to thank God for delivering them in battle! I'd never thought of fasting as anything except a way to ask God for things that you need, but the Nephites used it as a method of Thanksgiving. I guess that makes sense, though...we're told to pray not only when we want blessings, but also to thank our Father in Heaven for all that He has given us. I believe that praying and fasting are a blessing given to us more for our benefit than for God's, so maybe it would do me some good to have a fast every once in a while where I'm strictly thanking my loving Father in Heaven for all He has done for me. When's the last time you fasted just because you love God?
     I felt such a great peace and warmth this time that I went to the temple. One of the ladies working in the women's dressing room said that was the busiest she's seen the baptistry ever since she started working there, and we ended up being at the temple for 3 hours. Isn't it great that there were so many people there to do the work? I love living in Provo so close to a temple, and I know that my Heavenly Father loves me.

1 comment:

Lynette said...

I love you, Jilli-Billi.